At Brooke Primary Academy, we have three simple aims for reading:
1. Teach every child how to read
2. Develop and foster a love of reading
3. Ensure that every child reaches their full potential
At Brooke Primary Academy, we value reading and the whole curriculum which is underpinned by quality texts, which challenge and inspire our children. Within each term, each class will read and interpret a wide range of genres which are linked to the year group theme through a guided read (F2) or a shared read approach (Year 1-6). These texts are chosen to expose them to a variety of vocabulary, fuel their creativity and let them travel to worlds beyond their imagination. Our quality library allows children to choose from a wide range of authors and genres enabling them to follow their own interests and foster their own love of reading.
At Brooke Primary Academy, we develop our children’s word reading skills through daily phonics lessons. These daily lessons are followed with reading books that are specifically selected to allow children to practise their new knowledge and blending skills. This lets children build their stamina for reading and grow their confidence as they practise decoding words.
By the time a child leaves Brooke Primary Academy we hope that every child has developed the following:
• reading fluency
• comprehension of what they read
• lifelong habits of reading widely and often, for pleasure and information
• a wide vocabulary
• an appreciation of our rich and varied literary heritage
• the use of discussion to learn, elaborate and clearly explain their understanding and ideas
• speaking and listening skills
• an understanding the benefits of reading
• the experience of a wide range of quality texts across a variety of genres