At Brooke Primary Academy we hold a firm belief that all children have an equal right to a full and rounded education to support them achieving their full potential. Our ambition for supporting children with special educational needs is to:
- Provide chances for all pupils to discover and explore their interests, reaching their full potential through a broad and balanced curriculum
- Remove barriers to learning by ensuring that the needs of pupils with SEND are identified early so that they access the curriculum they deserve
- Provide every student with the support, resources and opportunities they need to thrive academically, socially and emotionally
- Prepare children for later life by developing independence and having robust transition arrangements for secondary school
At Brooke Primary Academy we follow the SEND Code of Practice (2014), ensuring that a graduated response is taken to the identification and support of children with special educational needs. We do this by:
- Implementing and regularly reviewing our SEND policy, ensuring its effectiveness and adjusting it accordingly to meet the standards of the SEND Code of Practice (2014)
- Working closely with staff for early identification of children with additional needs so that the appropriate support can be put in place
- Identifying effective use of diagnostic assessments to support the accurate identification of needs
- Initiating and referring children to appropriate services promptly so that the appropriate advice and support is implemented
- Working closely with outside agencies and identifying training requirements to implement their strategies and advice
- Requesting support for individual children through additional funding such as through the Higher Needs Panel or a request for an Educational, Health and Care Plan assessment
- Co-ordinating support for children with special educational needs through regular meetings with parents/carers and any outside agencies (minimum 3 x per year) to ensure a holistic approach is taken to support the child
Through implementing the SEND Code of Practice (2014) we hope to have ensured that every child with SEND feels valued, understood and included in all aspects of school life. At Brooke Primary Academy, children with special educational needs flourish and reach their full potential and are inspired to be the best version of themselves.
The SEND Local Offer Letter
The local offer provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place.
What is a local offer?
The local offer provides information on what services children, young people and their families can expect from a range of local agencies, including education, health and social care.
Knowing what is out there gives you more choice and therefore more control over what support is right for your child.