In January 2018, Healthy Learning, Healthy Lives (HLHL) replaced the Healthy Schools programme in Doncaster.
Health and well-being for all children at Brooke Primary Academy.
Emotional Health and Wellbeing
At Brooke Primary Academy we would like all children to be healthy and happy. We would like all children to be able to express their emotions and to be able to deal with their emotions in a positive way. We would like all children to be able to build positive relationships. If children have good mental health is will help them develop socially, emotionally, mentally and physically.
Emotional health is covered through our PSHE scheme of work (Jigsaw) and interventions that we have got in place in school.
The interventions are called:
• Horrizons- which looks at dealing with the loss of someone special to them, either by death or separation.
• Lego Group- is aimed at building friendships, been able to work within a small group and communication.
• Bags of Character- is a program that looks at dealing with emotions, team building, dealing/managing conflict and building self-esteem for individuals.
When children leave Brooke we want them to:
• Feel happy and positive about themselves
• Enjoy life
• Learn well
• Have healthy relationships with family and friends
• Can manage own emotions
• Be able to cope with life’s challenges
In addition to the intent, implementation and impact, healthy eating is taught through our PSHE Jigsaw scheme, Design and Technology: Nutrition and Science Years 2-6.
• To involve the whole community in developing and maintaining healthy eating and drinking habits.
• To have pleasant and sociable dining experience which enhances the social development of all children.
• To encourage a balanced diet.
• To encourage fluid intake with an easily accessible water supply throughout the day.
• To take into account and accommodate dietary requirements.
• To ensure high standards of hygiene amongst the children.
• To develop healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.
• We encourage parents and carers to pack a healthy packed lunch for their child/ children.
• We encourage all children to bring a water bottle to school every day.
• We encourage the children to wash their hands numerous times through out the day and have hand sanitiser throughout school.
• We encourage the children to eat a dinner in school provided by Dolce which provides a healthy, balanced meal to the school.
• We take into account and accommodate dietary requirements.
• Improvement in children’s educational outcomes and their health and wellbeing outcomes.
Please see the PE section of the school website.
Please see the PSHE section of the school website.
We encourage our pupils to travel actively to school. WOW is a pupil-led initiative where children self-report how they get to school every day using the interactive WOW Travel Tracker. If they travel sustainably (walk, cycle or scoot) once a week for a month, they get rewarded with a badge.
The launch video explains what WOW is: WOW 2021/22 launch video on Vimeo.
If you would like to find out more about WOW :livingstreets.org.uk/wow.